The following are guidelines for the use/operation of the pool during the hours when the Spearfish Aquatics Club is renting the pool from Black Hills State University.
- During open swim hours, the pool will maintain four lanes with lane lines for lap swimming. These lanes will be arranged by speed from slowest (nearest the wall) to fastest (furthest from the wall).
- The remaining, non-laned part of the pool will be open for recreational uses including but not limited to aqua-jogging and kayaking.
- In the laned part of the pool, swimmers are encouraged to select the lane of the pool which is most appropriate to their various swimming speeds.
- When three or more swimmers share a lane, the swimmers are encouraged to swim in counter-clockwise circulation (keeping right). When a swimmer joins a lane with two or more swimmers, s/he should inform the swimmers already in the lane of his/her presence.
- Swimmers who cannot swim one length (25m) of the large pool continuously should use the smaller pool only.
- During swim hours, the lifeguards will be responsible for the safe management of the pool and will have the authority to determine what constitutes safe and unsafe behavior and practice. People not abiding by their rulings will be asked to leave the pool.